The new 2020 Jaguar I-Pace is coming unchanged. The electric crossover came out this season to compete with Tesla Model X. Well, for the start, the British company made attracted some serious interest. It is still not a match for Tesla’s vehicle, but the JLR is showing a lot of potentials.
Highlights of the I-Pace crossover are cool exterior design and premium interior features. The company lacks an autonomous drive, though. Also, safety could be better. Designers will probably make some minor changes across the lineup and add safety accessories to the base package.
The price is a bit high. It can only go up if the company increases the range by the bigger battery. Finally, the 2020 Jaguar I-Pace is going to be available in more markets than before.
2020 Jaguar I-Pace Specs
Under the hood of the 2020 Jaguar I-Pace, you won’t find a conventional engine. Instead, the drivetrain of the EV crossover is a dual electric motor setup with 400 hp (300 kW) and 513 lb-ft (700 Nm) of torque. The lithium-ion battery of 90kWh is also part of the drive system.
Range numbers are the main details when it comes to electric models. The I-Pace is not as impressive as the Tesla Model X. It returns 235 miles (378 km) between two recharges. By WLTC, the range is 290 miles or 470 km.
After running out of energy, you can refill the battery on standard outlets. It takes 10 hours to get 80 percent. For the remaining 20 percent, you will have to wait for another three hours. If you plug your 2020 Jaguar I-Pace to the 100 kW station, the times drop to 40 min for 80 percent recharge.
The electric car is not the one that will allow you high speeds. Still, the I-Pace can reach respectable 125 mph. On the other hand, it sprints 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds. Of course, when not fully charged, the crossover can’t get the best performance.
2020 Jaguar I-Pace vs Tesla Model X
The 2020 Jaguar I-Pace is not ready yet to compete with the class-leading Tesla Model X. Well, the US company is also preparing a more affordable Model Y. Of course, there are also decreased performances and not premium trims and equipment.
The most suitable comparison is between I-Pace and 75D model. With it, the crossover can travel 238 miles between recharges and sprints to 60 mph in 5.2 seconds. Top speed is 130 mph. More powerful unit with a similar battery (90 kWh) improves these numbers. Still, if you want the best of the Tesla Model X, you will purchase 100D version with the range of 325 miles, max speed is 155 mph, and it needs 4.9 seconds for acceleration 0-60 mph.
Furthermore, Model X is longer and can take more passengers. A seven-seater configuration is optional, though. The towing capacity of Tesla’s SUV is 5,000 pounds.
Read more about Ford’s Electric SUV
Features and Accessories
Well, the JLR is premium carmaker that will stun you with their luxurious offer. Nothing less we expect from the Jag. The I-Pace comes with the standard moonroof and ambient lighting. Of course, the interior upholstery is covered by synthetic leather. Well, there are optional upgrades such as 18-way power seats and Windsor leather. Headliner, premium surround audio, and a few other options are also possible upgrades.
The 2020 Jaguar I-Pace is a five-seater crossover. It comes with 25 cubic feet of cargo space behind the second row. A power liftgate is standard and it simplifies the access. If you need more space, then you can fold rear seats and create 51 cubic feet of room.
The infotainment system is using the most advanced features. It is called the InControl Touch Pro Duo. Well, if it seems familiar to you, the layout is very similar to the Range Rover Velar. Navigation is standard. Climate control is going to affect the electric range of the I-Pace.
The crossover definitely needs some upgrades on the safety end. Still, the current features are the mix of advanced and standard equipment. However, this is not enough for a vehicle that costs $70,000. Automatic braking is there together with forward collision alert. The driver can find parking assist, and enthusiasts are waiting for the auto-parking feature when the I-Pace gets more self-driving options. For now, there are a rearview camera and sensors. Optionally, you can upgrade the safety system with a blind-spot monitor, cruise control, or steering and braking assist.
2020 Jaguar I-Pace Prices and Trim Levels
The base price of the Jaguar I-Pace is $70,000 and it stays put for the 2020 season. The SE model upgrades the cost by $6,000. HSE is top of the class model with a price tag just above $80,000. Here you are getting all the optional features we mentioned in the review. Next season we won’t see the First Edition. The warranty covers five years or 60,000 miles for a vehicle, and 8 years and 100,000 miles for the battery. In the first 60k miles, you are getting the maintenance schedule as well.